Friday 25 January 2008

JACKSON HOLE

It snowed again today its great to have this much snow but it is better if comes in overnight.
We skied the mountain at Teton village today and it is a real challenge certainly somewhere you would'nt bring a new skier on the whole mountain there is less than 10% beginner runs most of the terrain is advanced and I have never been anywhere in America or Canada where they have double blues( a blue being equal to red in europe) never the less a good place the only drawback is that Jackson town is a 16 mile drive , I did not realise this at the time I was organising where to stay if I had known I would probably have ended up with something at the bottom of the slopes and missed the uniqueness of Jackson I am glad I did'nt know.
Jackson is a fascinating place it would make any english council planning department wake up in a cold sweat, its as if someone took all the properties pieces on a monopoly board shook them up then threw them down and where ever they landed a property was built to suit the piece, hotels next to breweries, houses stations shops pubs car parks town hall restaurants all thrown together combine that with every building being different it makes for a an interesting perspective and somehow it works. At first I thought this is awful but now having walked round and had a good look its not awful its just not what i'm used to and thats strange coming from someone who was brought up in London where practically every building is different. Unfortunately my camera seized up today as a result of the cold so I can't show any pictures maybe tomorrow.
We ate this evening in The Wort Hotels silver dollar bar which is legendary locally and has a history nearly as old as Jackson itself, the place was packed with people wearing stetsons, cowboy boots, bootlace ties, Roy Rogers shirts and full beards ( only a few of the women had beards). We had'nt realised until the band struck up that Friday night is music night we were treated to an extravaganza of country & western from Tammy Wynette to Kenny Rogers and back again culminating with dueling banjo's the Whooping and Yeehaaaing really got going at that point to, a degree that I could'nt resist the odd whoop and yeeehaa myself. All in all we had a great evening and I just can't wait for the line dancing tomorrow!!!!!!!!. My brother in law would have loved it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey you two
i am sooooooo
jealous
so many cowboy bars for me to have a beer and a cheroot
by the way - not sure whether i would go for size 10 or 24
please bring back one of each to try out, esp. in gowgirl gear
keep on truckin
uncle sta